Discussion: Hidden Intellectualism
DirectionsL Respond to the following prompts in your "What's Next Notebook3rd PeriodAssignment
Label: Lesson 16 (9/24-5): Hidden Intellectuals
1. In your notes, identify three people who you think are intellectuals.
2. Type your best one into the “Chat.” Why did you choose this person?3. What are the qualities of an intellectual?
4. Definitions of an intellectual:
a. "The demand for certainty is one which is natural to man, but is nevertheless an intellectual vice." Bertrand Russell
b. "An intellectual is a person who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows." Dwight D. Eisenhower
c. "An intellectual is someone whose mind watches itself." Albert Camus
5. Which of the above quotes best matches your definition? Why or in what way?
6. Reflect on one or both of the following questions:
a. Is being an intellectual important? Does America need intellectuals? If so, what types does America need for its future success?
b. Do you consider anything about yourself to be intellectual? Explain.
HW: Read and annotate article "Hidden Intellectualism"
Last modified: Wednesday, 23 September 2020, 7:49 PM